Belchertown and Ware



Find Help

You are not alone.

Help is available for opioid use disorder (OUD) in Belchertown and Ware.

Call 911 if you suspect an overdose. Here are the common overdose signs. Recognizing an overdose can be difficult. If you aren't sure, it is best to treat the situation like an overdose - you could save a life.

Call Massachusetts Substance Use Helpline at (800) 327-5050 24/7 for free, confidential treatment/referral information in English and Spanish

Use the map below to find resources near you

Click to view the map's legend and customize filters.

= View the legend and customize filters.

You can use the filters on the map to find doctors and other healthcare providers that prescribe medications for opioid use disorder (MOUD, also called MAT), naloxone (also known as Narcan® or Kloxxado™ nasal spray) and drug disposal sites.

Important Notes for Belchertown and Ware:

  • Naloxone:

    • Learn how to get naloxone from a pharmacy or an overdose education and naloxone distribution (OEND) program in Massachusetts.
    • Belchertown and Ware Pharmacies: NARCAN® (naloxone) is available from your pharmacist without a prescription from your doctor. It is also covered by most major insurance plans. Please contact your health insurance provider to find out about your coverage and co-pay requirements. 
  • Recovery Support Services:

    • Locate a peer recovery support center near you to offer and receive support from individuals in recovery from substance use disorder, as well as families and loved ones affected by addiction.

Get Medication for Opioid Use Disorder

Each person has a personal path to recovery from opioid use disorder, and treatment with medication is a medical standard of care. People who stop using opioids often go back to using them if they do not use medication to help them. Stopping and then restarting opioid use increases the chance of dying from an overdose.

Carry Naloxone

Naloxone is a medicine that can save someone’s life if they are overdosing on opioids — whether it’s a prescription opioid, heroin, or a drug containing fentanyl. FDA approved forms of naloxone that are available include the nasal sprays Narcan® and Kloxxado, the ZIMHI prefilled syringe, and generic formulations that are used with a syringe or IV.

Quick Facts


Anyone can give naloxone to a person who may be overdosing, even if you don’t know what they have overdosed on.


You may be able to get it from a pharmacy or local health department without a personal prescription, often for free.


It can be used on pregnant women.


It is safe to keep around children.

Dispose of Prescription Opioids

It is not safe to share unused medications with others, and it is important remove all leftover prescription pain medication from your home. Medication take-back drop boxes and events are the best way to safely dispose of prescription and over-the-counter medicines that have passed their expiration date or are no longer needed.

All medicines dropped off at the drug disposal sites will be destroyed and discarded. Before disposing of medications, remove all personal information on the label of pill bottles or medicine packaging. To safely dispose of medicine at home, mix with coffee grounds or other unpalatable substances before disposing in the trash or check the FDA list for opioids that can be flushed down the toilet. You can also ask your local pharmacist for advice on how best to dispose of a specific medicine.

Discover Additional Local Resources

Support Helplines

Phone: 800-327-5050

TTY: 888-448-8321

  • 988: If you or someone you know is thinking about suicide or is in a mental health crisis.

Call or Text: 988


  • Aunt Bertha: Search and connect to support services, such as food, housing, healthcare, etc.

Download on Android and iOS devices.

Harm Reduction and Overdose Prevention

 Tools for Recovery

  • Learn to Cope: A peer-led support group for families and loved ones who supports someone who has substance use disorder.
  • RIZE Massachusetts | Your Rights in Recovery: A ‘toolkit’ of supports and resources for people with opioid use disorder as they navigate housing, healthcare, employment, etc.
  • | Peer Recovery Support Centers: A regional listing of Massachusetts Peer Recovery Support Centers (PRSC) which offer and receive support from individuals in recovery from substance use disorder, as well as families and loved ones affected by addiction.

Get Involved in Your Community

Belchertown and Ware is taking important steps to address the opioid crisis in your community and across the country by participating in the HEALing Communities Study. Learn more about the study, which is being implemented in four states.

You can make a difference too.

Share These Resources

Spread the word. Help others in Belchertown and Ware find help and learn how they can get involved.

Stand Up to Stigma

Stigma is the disapproval of, or discrimination against, a person based on a negative stereotype. Stigma often affects how people with opioid use disorder are treated, making it difficult for them to find jobs, places to live, and medical care. 

Learn more about stigma and how you can help end stigma in your community.

Questions about the study in Belchertown and Ware?


Kyle Mandia
Community Engagement Facilitator, Boston Medical Center


Alyssa Curran
Community Coordinator, Western Massachusetts Training Consortium